Balsamic Brussels Grilled Cheese

I continue to be amazed by how much I really do love Brussels sprouts. I’m not even joking – I love them and I want to shout it to the world. I think the stereotype of Brussels sprouts came to be because of the way we traditionally cook them. I’m not a big fan of boiling them – they become mushy and unappetizing. Fry them up with a little olive oil, toss with some Parmesan, salt and pepper and you’re golden. I even ate them today as a snack and I’m not the kind of person who considers green leafy vegetables a snack. Here’s my newest and most favourite Brussels sprout discovery so far.

IMG_3845

Ingredients (makes 4 sandwiches)
1/2 pound Brussels Sprouts, stems removed and shredded
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Balsamic Glaze
salt and pepper, to taste
12 ounces cheddar cheese, sliced
8 slices crusty whole grain bread
softened butter to spread

Directions

1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Toss in Brussels sprouts and garlic with salt and pepper, tossing to coat. Cook until wilted and golden, stirring, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet, place in a bowl and toss with parmesan immediately.

IMG_3848

2. Heat same skillet over medium-low heat. Butter outsides of bread slices, and then top with cheese, Brussels, drizzle of balsamic and more cheese in that order. Top with slice of bread. Cook until outside is crisp and cheese is melted. Toss and do the same on the other side.

IMG_3846

These are flavour combinations I would have never thought worked together and yet do amazingly. I am always looking to up my grilled cheese game and this is definitely one way to do that.

Enjoy!

xx Sonia

Adapted from: How Sweet It Is

facebooktwitterpinterestmailby feather

9 Comments on Balsamic Brussels Grilled Cheese

1. Fixing My Fear Of Flavor
    March 20, 2014 at 6:14 am (7 months ago)

I’m just dipping my toes into the world of Brussels sprouts. Cheese you say? Oh yes! I can do this. :D!! Great photos.

• everybodylovespretty
      March 21, 2014 at 8:17 am (7 months ago)

Cheese makes anything that’s already good, better! Brussels sprouts are slowly becoming one of my favourite vegetables. Let us know if you give it a try and thanks for the comment :)

2. {Main St. Cuisine}
    March 20, 2014 at 6:21 am (7 months ago)

Mushy and unappetizing was how they were served to us when I was growing up. Oh, I don’t have very good memories of them or my old pal, the lima bean (which my late father adored). But, I do love them now, especially roasted. Your idea of adding shredded Brussels to a grilled cheese is brilliant. Thank you for the inspiration today!

• everybodylovespretty
      March 21, 2014 at 8:15 am (7 months ago)

I LOVE them roasted as well. Roasted, shredded and fried – doesn’t matter as long as they’re not boiled into mush. Thanks for the comment :)

3. thebrookcook
    March 23, 2014 at 1:16 pm (7 months ago)

I am a huge brussels sprout fan myself- this sandwich sounds so wonderful– and original! GREAT!

• everybodylovespretty
      March 23, 2014 at 6:36 pm (7 months ago)

Glad you liked it, thanks so much for the comment and like :)

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Balsamic Brussels Grilled Cheese

1. […] it all? This blog has really mouthwatering photography of their recipes. I am itching to try their Balsamic Brussels Grilled Cheese. Bookmarked and excited to keep going […]

2. […] for me. However I’ve really been trying to expand the vegetables that I eat lately due to recently discovering that I love Brussels Sprouts. The crispiness and delicious outer crusting of these zucchini sticks […]